Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Dad had a nice day today. Haydee took him out for ice cream during the day. Tonight he had a turkey noodle casserole, which is a recipe I got from Mom who got it from Aunt Thelma (I substituted ground turkey for ground beef.) I just put Dad to bed...every night I put Dad to bed, I always tell him "I love you" and his usual response is either nothing or "ok". Tonight, he said "Same for me."

Friday night was interesting...Paul and I were up late watching TV...around 1:00am I heard Dad get up...he had made it out to the hallway in his walker and wanted to know where his shoes were. His walking and manner of speaking was more "normal" than his usual slower gait. I let him know it was the middle of night and starting directing him back to his bedroom. He made the comment "How did I get in this house?" He said he needed to pee, so we walked to the bathroom and he walked towards the toilet and pulled up the seat and starting pulling down his pants to pee standing up! Had never seen him do that before...I made sure he was close enough to the toilet, and sure enough, he peed! We made it back to his bed...he asked to keep the bathroom light on and insisted he keep on his slippers in bed, as well as his glasses. THe next morning I asked him if he remembered getting up the night before and he said no.

4 comments:

Justine said...

Nice to hear that Dad still has these times when he gets back to being more himself, even if they are not often. After all those years of peeing standing up, it would seem to be a pretty hard habit to break!

Catherine said...

The noodle recipe sounds like the same recipe that Aunt Justine gave me. Did you recipe call for sherry? I think that makes it special.

I am glad Dad has some good moments.

Catherine said...

I wonder if Dad misses North Carolina; I sure would like him back here! No doubt he is doing okay where is is, but it really isn't his home!

Justine said...

I wonder too - what would Dad say is his home? Since Mom is gone, it can't be easy. And none of us can really know what he is thinking at this point. He seems to do pretty well in most situations - though I never really felt he did that well at the Homestead nursing home. I'm glad that he is getting personal attention every day and is loved by all of us.