Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dad having a harder time transitioning

The gals and I are starting to see an increase in times in which Dad doesn't want to get up (not necessarily out of bed in the morning, but from say a seated position to go to eat or do an activity.) I hadn't seen it so much before when i'm with him, but now it's starting to happen to me too. Before Lois would sometimes need me to step in to encourage Dad to get up. Now I sometimes have to recruit Paul to step in to get Dad to get up for me! Tonight was one of those occasions. It also seemed like he was having difficulty knowing the right things to do with his hands. For example, going to the sink after toileting...usually knows when I show him the toothbrush to grab it and start brushing...instead reached for the soap with just one hand. When I placed the toothbrush in his hand, he treated it like it was a bar of soap and ran it under the water instead of putting it in his mouth (until I corrected him.) When I try to talk to him, I'll ask him..."do you want to have dinner"..."yes,", so you need to get up .. "I don't like that." Tonight, after Paul prompted him to get up, he did eat his dinner that was placed in front of him, (though needed a lot of encouragement and instruction for holding the corn on the cob...though then ate it all.)

It could be that this is just a "tired" day after the big outing from yesterday. It's also interesting because last night he actually woke up and got up in the room around 11pm (I could hear him over the monitor.) It was similar to what he's done before in that situation in which he's looking for his shoes, and/or confused and seemingly trying to get his bearings. Was also questioning..."where's my bedroom", and needed to walk around the house a little for me to convince him that was his bedroom. But anyway, the interesting thing is how in that situation, his physical capabilities seem better...he walks much more quickly and is anxious to try and get around (unlike today in which he won't move.) Makes me think that the lack of movement, slow walking has more to do with his mental state than physical. Just a thought.

I'll keep you posted. I also talked to Lois today about doing some blogging, so will try to get her set up soon.

No comments: