Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dad's Rainy Monday

Ken brought Dad home last night and reported a good weekend (though said Dad didn't seem to eat much). Today was a rainy, windy and cold day in LA, and we had a planned electricity outage from 10 to 4 (while they did some upgrades). Dad and Lois took it in stride and seemed to have a good day. My kids were out of school, but we were in and out with some dentist and doctor's appointments.

Anyway, this evening and a little bit last night for that matter, I noticed that Dad seemed to be walking and moving around with more strength. Particularly, tonight, he was moving much quicker in his walker, and initiating actions with less prompting (getting up, pulling his own pants down in the toilet, maneuvering to the right spots, etc.) He actually was in quite a jolly mood this evening as well. He cracked up when I asked him how old he would be in 3 days on his birthday. He kept mentioning something about some "medal on a chain", and how it must have been moved from the drawer, and then he would laugh. He brought up Allen's name as well. Just seemed to be in good spirits overall, and quicker in his responses and physical movement. We also watched the president's press briefing...in general it seems to me that Dad pays more attention to the television here than what I remember, but I probably wasn't paying close enough attention. Also, I have the large screen, so that might help. I tend to keep the TV on CNN in the evening. I think Lois and he watch I Love Lucy at Noon every day.

I'm still feeling quite good about the work Lois is doing. She interacts and talks with him quite a bit. For example, today she was reviewing his old Navy boat yearbook with him and letting him tell the stories about it. Also, she's very diligent about the exercises and walking.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

That medal might have been Dad's pocket watch I gave him for his birthday last year. I might have put it in storage. (It was a cheap watch from Big Lots. Maybe you have a watch he can wear?