Friday, March 27, 2009

Dermatologist visit

Dad was able to get a last minute appointment with the dermatologist this past Monday. There were 3 spots on Dad's face she was concerned about, and wanted to do biopsies, which we agreed to. One of the spots was a dark irregular shaped one on his upper right cheek area. Perhaps he's had that checked out before...I looked at photos I had from when Dad was first here (Dec/Jan) and he did have it. The other spot was the one at the top right of his forehead...looks like he may have had that before too...I noticed it when it got more red than usual. Third one she wanted to check was a pimple-looking mark to the left of his mouth in the crease area. Dad braved the needles for the lidocaine to numb the areas, as well as some pressure when she cut the skin for the samples. I don't think he liked it. On the way out to the elevator he said "I just as well die." He has an appointment on April 6th to get the results. Which brings me to the question of us discussing whether certain procedures will be worth it or not. If it gets to that point (hopefully not), we should probably have a skype to discuss.

Justine will actually be here for that next appointment...she's coming to visit Dad (April 3-8) and will also help me with finalizing his taxes, preparing his first quarterly state tax payment and other as needed. When I mentioned to Dad that Justine would be coming soon, he said, "it's nice that you'll get to visit with your sister." To which I said, "and you your daughter!"

Dad is off to Ken's for a 3-day weekend. Lois drove him there this afternoon.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Barb and Justine taking Dad to the dermatologist is something that I used to do until early in 2008.

I had to cancel his appointment and put off making a new one because I wasn't sure whether to put Dad through all the procedures; it probably is necessary still?

It would be good to ask the dermatologist what he thinks. The dermatologist might want to consult with Dr. Southard as well, as Dad has been seeing him for a long time and he might have some insight as to what procedures would be worth doing at this stage of Dad's life.