Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Doctor's appointment

Dad had a physical appointment today with Dr. Gee. He had done bloodwork last week and provided me with the results today...all looked good regarding bloodwork, slight indication of dehydration, though could be because Dad had to fast for bloodwork (test at 8am, no breakfast.) I talked to Lois about being more diligent with getting Dad to drink more water...he often only sips it.

We reviewed Dad's medications and will continue with the same meds Dad has been on (Namenda & Aricept for memory, Metoprol and Norvasc for blood pressure, B-12 injection monthly, prozac for depression). Dad also takes a daily vitamin, baby aspirin, senna and colace for constipation.)

Dad has lost more weight...was down to 138. We do struggle sometimes to get him to eat everything in front of him. I asked about whether to introduce Ensure, and doctor said good idea, though could initially cause some diarrhea.

His blood pressure was a little high 150/70, though doctor didn't express concern.

I mentioned that it seemed like Dad's hearing had gotten worse...he checked his ears and found some wax...suggested the over the counter kits to soften and remove, which I will get.

He asked about other concerns and I brought up the skin cancers. Speaking of that, Dad had his upper body examined this past Monday...Lois said doctor identified 4 areas of concern, but doctor hasn't yet contacted me to tell me what they are. I called today but haven't heard back. Anyway, he basically said the decision about what procedures to undergo is certainly a personal family decision. He did say if it were his parents, same age and condition as Dad (93, relatively good physical condition and for the most part, comfortable), he would likely not do much about it, particularly if procedures are uncomfortable for Dad.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Sounds good about not doing too many uncomfortable procedures by the dermatologist. That may be what Dr. Southard was doing--just concentrating on Dad's upper body, chest, shoulders. Just areas where he could examine when Dad took off his shirt.

I never talked with Dr. Lichstein about how long he might live. I had wanted to several times, but there was so much else going on, that it slipped my mind.

I had heard that Alzheimers patients generally live about 10 years and it has been about 6.5 years since he was officially diagnosed (early 2003).