Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dad Was really Talking this weekend

Dad was really speaking this weekend! I didn't really see him much until Saturday afternoon, since I came in late Friday for a short while (and he was sleeping).

Saturday I came in about 5 and left and came back about 10. Dad was watching TV. He went to bed about 11 pm. But he woke up very early. I noticed an odor but didn't arise as quickly as I could have. Dad had turned the oven up to 450 and was attempting to warm up his pants. When I opened the oven I saw the blackened clothes, burning slightly. I quickly tossed them in the sink! Dad tried to touch them. Then he started looking for his pants again! The alarm then went off and a security guard came by and talked with Dad and I for a few minutes. All this time Dad is walking around without his cane! He mentioned that he had fallen, but appeared to be in okay shape.

After breakfast Dad insisted on driving, "just a block". He had been talking the day before about how the car had been wreaked and such. Also he asked where Mom was. Then he seemed shocked when I mentioned Jennie. He said she is married? Really! Then he said that I was married to him. And he asked if my father was still in the Army. (He looked at a card from Norman Short, his naval academy roommate--most of the time he NEVER reads).

He went to the car and even though I was protesting, got into the driver's side. He almost fell trying to get into the car, but managed to steady himself. I had called Chip for some moral support. During the phone call to Chip he seemed very talkative and such. I finally told Dad I should at least drive out the driveway before he drove. Then after that I let Dad steer the wheel, he turned the wheel for a short ways then seemed satisfied with the performance of the car.

Dad talked a lot about his knees hurting him so I rubbed some aspercreme on them. I hope that helped them. Later we decided to call his roommate and he told the roommate how awful he felt, that he had broken both his legs, etc. etc. He said everyone had died, his mother, his father, his sisters, (though he did not mention Mom). He also asked where some building was at the naval academy that he needed to go to. He also mentioned that he wanted him to come to visit but that he would not be able to play golf.

He also kept insisting that I was his wife. [It was flattering I must say.]

At dinner he said he felt he could eat again (he had a hard tine eating his green beans at lunch). It wasn't so much what he said, it was his tone of voice--very positive and he seemed to be able to think, though he sounded like he was a bit amnesic. Even though he asked a lot of questions (some over and over), I was happy that he was talking!

Sunday night asked what he should wear the next day (he had said previously that he felt good enough to go to the office). I said the green pants. He woke me up at 4 am and showed me the blue pants and shirt he had picked out. Then he put the clothes on and sat on the dining room chair a couple of hours till I got up! It was nice that he was able to dress himself.

No comments: