Friday, April 16, 2004

I appreciate your update Cathy!

Here's a few more comments and observations from my recent visit.

Dad's focus definitely varies from day to day and time to time. Overall, I was really pleased at how well he can still follow games and strategies, when he is focussing. Occasionally he required some prompting, but mostly only at the beginning of a new game. With Cribbage, he seemed to have most trouble in remembering which direction the pegging was supposed to go, rather than knowing which cards to play.

Dad seemed to me to require a fair bit of prompting and assistance with daily living - dressing, toilet, grooming. For example, when brushing his teeth, he continued to brush for a very long time, until I suggested he could stop.

He does seem to engage with the activities at the center. Mom mentioned she had visited once to find him up and dancing (one of the regularly scheduled activities). Barb and I talked with the Activities Director, who mentioned that recently exercises have not been scheduled as frequently as before, but these will be reinstated when she is better (she broke an ankle). The exercise is normally 'sitercize' type activity, running a few times a week. I didn't really get much chance to observe the activities, as we frequently took Dad out, rather than staying around the residence. When we were leaving, one caretaker (Joyce) mentioned that she would like to learn cribbage (she had been observing us play).

One day when we took Dad to the house, a Braves game was on so he was watching it. He definitely seemed to enjoy this, and was clearly following the play and told me what had been happening when I returned from being out of the room. At the Homestead, when we found him in the TV room, I didn't sense he was really following it there, and Mom had said before he didn't always seem to be interested in the games the way he used to be, so I thought this was good.

I'm feeling more comfortable with the arrangements now. I think Dad is generally happy where he is. We can continue to look into additional activities which might offer more physical activity, and work regularly with the staff to keep information flowing.

I will really enjoy hearing any comments everyone has whenever they talk or see Dad. Cathy and Mom carry most of the burden for providing companionship - I really appreciate the efforts. It can be difficult day after day, particularly when Dad is less responsive from time to time.

No comments: