Friday, April 23, 2004

Just thought I would give my impressions from my visit to W-S April 7-9.

Dad was doing better than I thought, he is mostly coherent, remembers me and others, and played a good game of cribbage (he had me doing the pegging, but Justine said he pegged other games that she played). However, he basically seems to lack any motivation - to bring up topics, to want to do anything. Everything has to be suggested to him, but then he is very amiable. He is very concerned about toileting (doesn't want to go anywhere without using a bathroom first), and he needs assistance in there, this verified by Justine (e.g, he might use a towel to wipe vs. toilet paper).

He is also much quieter than he used to be - not much conversation initiated by him. I did notice that he indicated he looks forward to visits, and he was disappointed one night that we were going out to the play and not back to see him. This was an example of being a bit more assertive in expressing what he wanted to do or in being involved with family.

I do think he needs the 24 hour care and supervision he's getting in the Alzheimer's Unit. What is lacking at Homestead Hills that he could use more of, is 1x1 and exercise. The activities at Homestead Hills don't actively engage Dad (although I noticed the item that he participated in dancing - good!), he needs 1x1 at this stage it seems. I do think that the staff is friendly, kind to the patients, etc. However, their tasks seem geared to medical and basic needs like meds, dressing, safety, toileting.

I am encouraged by the interaction that Cathy and Mom are having, and that Wally wants to come visit weekly, too.

I think the Blog is a GREAT idea, and will help us to understand how he reacts to the stimulation.


No comments: