Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dad Remembers Me.

I don't get the impression from reading the blog that Dad "remembers me". I suppose he will recognize me when I see him soon. And I think he knows who I am when I call.

I just wonder what stage of Alzheimers he is in now.

I do think changes are hard for Dad now (but I might be so inclined myself to not like changes either), so I wonder how his memory is doing at this time--is it causing more frustrations, or just resignation?

Kenny mentioned that he brushes Dad's teeth now. I wonder if Dad forgot how to do it, or whether it is easier to have a caregiver brush them? I miss Dad brushing his teeth.

5 comments:

Justine said...

Dad brushed his own teeth every night I was there, so I don't know why Ken is brushing for him. Also, he certainly remembered you when I was showing him photographs. I also seem to remember he brought up your name during another conversation, but I don't remember the context right now. While I do think his memory is not as sharp as it was, but I didn't sense any frustration from him, nor even resignation. He was happy most of the time, smiled a lot. He was sleepy or tired quite a bit as well of course.

Catherine said...

I am looking forward to seeing how Dad is adjusting to his new situation!

Jennie Lemire said...

Of couse, we are still not sure if Dad actually has Alzheimer's, it could be cognition loss from other things, like TIAs. From what I understand of Alzheimer's, the patient lives mostly in the moment, and there is not a lot of frustration or resignation about their situation, per se. They are just living and doing the best they can at any point in time.

Catherine said...

I really think he does have Alzheimers. Not sure what TIAs are.

Catherine said...

I don't know what to say. I know a lot but you don't seem interested in my opinion, just what you know.

I think I will give you guys some space--a lot--because maybe by then you will know as much as I knew a few months ago and I will be more willing to listen to your viewpoint.