Thursday, April 09, 2009

Up Day

Dad had more of an "up" day today. I got him to bed relatively early last night, and this morning when I asked him how he was doing he said "Very Good!". He also showed more energy in his outside walks (We had "dueling walkers" with me and Dylan in his walker, and Dad with Lois in his walker and we crossed paths a few times. It was a nice day here today (high 60's, clear.)

Lois does have Dad read daily...today outside he was reading articles in the newspaper (she points to what he should read and he reads it...so he's not trying to process it, but clearly can still read). It's true that I haven't noticed him lately watching much television, but it was something I've noticed him doing before since he's been here in California.

I purchased a couple of puzzles at TJ Maxx today to add to Dad's repertoire...Lois utilizes these most days. They are the juvenile type that involve matching...one has about 75 pieces, and it takes 3 or 4 pieces to make one complete rectangle which has a picture and a name on it (e.g. "frog" or "sun"). The other has numerous pieces also, and you have to find the matches (e.g., horse hoof with picture of horse). Other suggestions are welcome.

Chip, Jennie...It would also be great to get the Navy discussion video and/or the paper that Faye wrote. Lois still goes through the U.S.S. New Jersey War book we have and if there was more accurate info that would be great.

3 comments:

Justine said...

I really think srabble or boggle type game (simplified) would be a good thing. Set up 7 letters and ask Dad to make words from them perhaps. Or start a game and then work with him on his turn to make a word that will fit on the board.

Jennie Lemire said...

I have a Boggle game if Barb needs it.

Catherine said...

I think Dad enjoys puzzle. I also have a couple of books with find-the-objects that I can bring.

The puzzles were recommended as good for people with Alzheimers.