Thursday, April 09, 2009

General observations with Dad

I really enjoyed the opportunity to spend some time with Dad and see how he is doing. He is getting really good care and in general seems to continue to enjoy relatively good health. He mostly eats well and gets exercise every day.

I do think he seems a bit weaker overall since I saw him last, though he still gets around. I didn't observe any times when he wanted to walk without his walker though (which I had seen before on 'good' days). He is not quite as quick to recognize people, and does appear to be confused most of the times I talked with him. He did easily recognize Mom's picture, and us as well. I was showing him older photographs for the most part (when we were kids up to the early 70s). I tried to get him to talk about Navy experiences without too much luck. He mixed up the stories with references to me or other things in the room. He doesn't seem to respond to the television much at all any more - certainly doesn't talk about anything. We watched the Final Four basketball and he wasn't interested. I tried to work with him with a card game based on dominoes (but using pictures), but he said it was too hard to try and match the pictures, so I stopped. I didn't get a chance to try scrabble. He still reads well, so perhaps making words or reading words from the letters would be a good activity.

Barb and I started talking about arrangements for getting Dad to the beach this summer. I'm wondering if it might be his last opportunity to be together with a larger group. I think he could still have years left, I'm not sure such a big trip will be possible much longer.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I personally do not think Dad will be able to handle the trip. (If he wants to go that would be possible I suppose. Since I am seeing him soon I would be okay with him staying in California.

Barb said...

I just talked to Dad about the beach. I mentioned that several of us were planning to meet at the beach in North Carolina and asked him if he would like to go. He said "why not?" I followed up that he'd have to get on a plane and have a long plane ride, and asked him again if he'd like to do that. He responded "sure".

I think as long as we can utilize wheelchair assistance and minimize extended walking, he should be OK. Sitting and napping don't seem to be a problem for him.

It would also be difficult to leave him here in California, considering I won't be here! I think Ken is still possibly considering at least some time at the beach as well. Of course if circumstances change and Dad is unable, I could probably have day and night help, and Paul would be here while Dad is sleeping.

Catherine said...

I think that Dad does NOT have much time left, I feel about 2 more years, based on that fact that the average Alzheimer's life span is about 10 years. I think he probably started having symptoms about 2001 if not earlie.

Catherine said...

Again I think Dad does not need to go to beach. I think he would be better off at home. But anyway, that is my feeling, maybe I will feel better about him traveling when I see him. I think there are a lot of frustrations and such when traveling that are easy to overlook until they are encountered.