Friday, April 17, 2009

Dr. Lichstein and Karen Beard

I talked to Dr. Lichstein about Dad. How he probably would be staying in California as he seems to be adapting to it. If he did come back I would have to put him in a nursing home (and Dr. Lichstein agreed with that.), which would not be as nice as the home setting he is in now.

I asked him what stage of Alzheimers Dad was. He said he would consider Dad in the moderate to severe range (though he hasn't given him a test recently). Because he probably would not know what year it was or where he was.

He asked me to record [if and when] Dad starts talking in Latin. A year ago we talked and he mentioned how the old memories stay the longest. I wondered if Dad's memories of Latin would possibly come out!

He said the end stage starts when Dad stops eating and drinking. (I don't think that has happened yet, but occasionally Dad does not eat too well).

Anyway, he thought Dad would not have issues with traveling, such as lung or heart issues.


I also talked to Karen Beard and she would be glad to help look up geriatric psychiatrist for Dad if needed, though she said he doesn't seem to have any behavioral issues.

No comments: