Monday, March 29, 2010

Sunday Update

Barb and I visited Dad around 5pm, Sunday. He was still sleeping, and the nurses said he had not really woken, although when moved he did sometimes groan or grunt. They were giving him blood, due to readings from a blood test earlier, and his face was flushed. He also still had a small fever (99). Barb and I tried to get him to wake by talking, gently shaking or rubbing him, even using a cold compress on his forehead and neck. We gave him oral swabs with water to help relieve his dry mouth, and with some prompting, he did suck on it. He seemed to rouse slightly sometimes, making facial expressions or moving his mouth, but did not open his eyes. We will visit again later this morning, hoping that he is beginning to rouse more.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Are they concerned about the fact that he isn't waking?

Catherine said...

It is nice that Justine was able to come visit and help Barb and Ken with the care of Dad!

Your sister,

Cathy

Justine said...

Everyone said that sometimes it does take a while to wake up post-anesthesia. I was a little worried, but now that he is showing some progress not as much. I am afraid the recovery will definitely be slow, however. We have to go one step at a time.

Justine said...

I am glad I was here and able to help. I was supposed to leave today, but will probably leave tomorrow.