Friday, March 05, 2010

Visit with Dad

Yesterday I went for a visit with Dad. When I arrived, he was in his recliner...I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk with me and he said yes. We walked around the house (very cold yesterday)...he knew his way around without my direction. After circling the hall and coming back through the kitchen/dining area, I asked him if he wanted to go to his room and we did. He was able to sit in his chair on his own, moving very slowly and cautiously. I reviewed some photos with him. I asked him if he was comfortable here and he said yes. I asked him if he liked living in this new house and he said "is this the new house?" to which I responded yes. I then asked him if he wanted to toss the ball and he said yes so we did. He threw it back and forth quite forcefully and with strength. After awhile it was time for lunch so we walked back to the dining room to join the ladies for lunch (green salad with tomato and grilled cheese.)

Juana reported to me that the night before Dad did get up around 10:30 or 11 to walk around. They gave him the Haldol and he slept the rest of the night.

Today, Laura stopped by and wanted to go visit Dad...I sent her with some oatmeal choc chip cookies I had made to give him. She reported that she had a nice visit and Dad was energetic...they walked as well.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Dad does seem to be thriving on the care at the home. But why are you asking him if he likes it there? Are you basing your decisions on whether he says yes or no?

Not sure if it is important or not, but Dad did complain more when he was living here, in part I think because he knew he had Alzheimer's and of course it is difficult disease (no matter where one is living).

IT is very difficult to know what to do--you seem very firm in your own convictions of how to to things--I might do things differently with regard to Haldol--I still think it would be good to have someone stay with Dad at night so to avoid using the drug--from personal experience it gave me some tardive dyskinesia after a few days--not sure if that would be a problem for Dad.

D