Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mon/Wed

Dad had good PT sessions both Monday and Wednesday. He is continuing to walk. Today, I arrived towards the end of therapy and Lucinda reported that he walked 2.5 times down the hallway. He continues to say "I can't do it" as he is doing it! I had to return home to pick up something, but then returned and talked to Dad for awhile. He said he wanted to straighten his back so I asked him if he wanted to get up, and he said yes. Note that he was adjusting himself in his chair as well. Then, he initiated all the proper movements for starting to get up (getting his feet underneath him, leaning forward, etc.) Just gave him a little bit of support in moving from sit to stand, and absolutely no cries out from him. Once up, he started to walk, and also saying "I can't do it." We just moved a little, and he sat on the couch. A little later, said he was ready to get up, and again he initiated the proper movements, including coming forward from a semi-reclined position on the couch...this is key as this is still the trouble they are having in the morning, so the more he does it the better. Anna mentioned that this morning when time to get up, Dad had his legs out of the side of the bed, as if he was trying to do it himself. Of course that's good news and bad, as we certainly don't want him to try and get him and fall again. I think I will talk to them about a bed alarm.

I am very encouraged by Dad's increased strength and motivation to return to his former abilities. He was also verbally responding that he was doing "better" and also saying "it's going to take a few more walks to do it myself."

1 comment:

Justine said...

Thanks again, Barb! I really appreciate your posts. I can visualize Dad as you describe what he is doing. It's also nice to see that he really is making progress.