Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Dad's Day in LA

Dad seemed to move around more easily today and also speak a little more coherently. A few "set me ups" but other more appropriate uses of words as well. For example, around 4pm we were going on our regular walk to the mailbox, and then around the back of the house...turning around at the mailbox he said "I don't like this", and so I replied, "What don't you like?" He said "this is more your thing", so I then said, "OK, I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to go for a walk, do you want to go back inside?" Then he said, "Well I do want to go for a walk" and then we continued around the back, until eventually going back inside. I think that he didn't like having to go to the mailbox (when I get and sort my mail into the recycling bin) because there is a particular section of the driveway near the mailbox that might be a little harder for him to maneuver (I'm right there to assist as needed.) Anyway, I suppose not that coherent, but in my mind he was engaged at least.

We took a trip to the grocery store today...after walking from the car to the pharmacy area, he sat and waited patiently while I shopped. They had a blood pressure machine and it recorded 111/63...not sure how accurate that is. By the way, the pharmacist told Paul that the Metoprol that he takes for blood pressure should be taken at night, though his schedule shows AM. Did Lichstein ever say anything about that?

Overall, It does seem to me that he is feeling quite comfortable at my house...just as we have to shift him tomorrow to Ken & Judy's! I have been giving him the heads up today that that is the plan, and that he'd be returning here next week.

Eating, sleeping, pooping is continuing to go well.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I am not sure about the Metropolol Rx. At one one point I asked Dr. Lichstein if he could discontinue it as his blood pressure seemed to have stablized. But he wanted to continue it. It seems at times that his Bp goes up and down. I looked at a website and it said that the drug might make someone drowsy, so maybe that is why it is usually taken at night. At this point I don't know if it makes any difference or not.

I think Dad will enjoy a visit with Ken and Judy!

Catherine said...

It is really easy to fall asleep while I am watching TV or reading in the living room with Dad!