Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update on Dad

We are settling into the routine of Lois caring for Dad daily from 8 to 4. Dad usually goes to bed between 9:30 and 10pm and thus far has slept all night (or stayed in bed at least, and I can usually hear snoozing in the morning when I'm getting the kids up) until 8am, which is when Lois arrives to rouse him and start his day.She is maintaining his daily log, which I expanded to include identification of morning and afternoon activities, as well as walks. She usually spends the 1st hour in his bathroom/bedroom, helping him shower, toilet and get dressed, then he has breakfast around 9am. They've started watching Price Is Right, which I told her he might recognize. She is doing his daily exercises prescribed by the doctor as well. She mentioned that Dad talked to her a lot yesterday morning, but I didn't get the opportunity to ask her any details about the conversation. Today the weather was warming up again, so they had lunch and spent some time outside. Ryland has a cool US States puzzle that they do on occasion.

Yesterday we took Dad to the podiatrist. He was referred by my friend, the doctor, but I also know his wife (fellow Mom from Cornerstone.) He clipped Dad's toenails. I asked him about the fact that Dad has complained of pain in his left heel, and also what Lois had noticed of a slightly swollen right ankle...Podiatrist felt the area looking for Dad's reactions...said it didn't seem to be anything external, and mentioned it is likely "plantar fascia?" or something like that (common ailment for elderly when ligaments or tendons break down? He just recommended making sure Dad doesn't walk often barefoot (which he doesn't), and also suggested encouraging the walking, as well as doing "toe raises" from his walker. I forgot to ask the doctor (actually, I had to leave early to retrieve Dylan, so Lois stayed with him), but I had asked the nurse who took us to the room about the fungus. Her comment was that the medicine only works in 75% of those to whom it is given, and because of the potential impacts to the liver, would not often be prescribed for someone like Dad. It doesn't seem to bother him, and the nails actually looked much better and cleaned up last night when we got ready for bed.

Dad seemed to enjoy his dinner tonight. Ryland usually sits with him at the Family Room table for dinner, while Dylan and I are eating at the counter.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

How is Dad's itching around shoulders and arms? I worry that a shower every day may trigger a dry skin condition leading to more itching. However, if the itching has stopped or slowed down then the daily showers may be okay.

I think Price is Right was a show that Mom watched; I am not sure that Dad watched it in the past, though he may enjoy it now.

Catherine said...

Dr. Wingate never mentioned that he had a fungus, so it never occurred to me that there was a fungus! I just thought it was his skin getting old. Anyway, I am glad that it does not bother him.

His ankle sometimes swells, I think it is good to elevate his feet or use support hose.

Barb said...

He hasn't seemed to be itching much lately. I got a Lubriderm lotion that she uses on Dad after the shower. His skin seems quite soft and smooth now.