Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Day

(Warning of a personal hygiene-detailed post to follow!)

Dad had a pretty good day. We finally had some good timing with the toileting so that we didn't need to change his morning diaper until this evening (up until then, he had only pooped, but not peed in the toilet.) Unfortunately, though, he is on day 3 of no pooping. I also noticed what I think are hemorrhoids so I've been cleaning with some Tucks pads.

For the 2nd day in a row, we took a walk outside/around my house and then we spent a few minutes bouncing the basketball back and forth to each other. Today, I decided to add calling out the alphabet as we bounced (I bounce "a", he bounced back "b", etc.) We did that several times, then we expanded to counting by twos, odds, then evens, then by tens. I think he liked it, but seemed glad when he got to retire in his favorite leather chair for a snack, nap and then watch Dylan on his bike.' If anyone has good suggestions for "mental games" for Dad, please share.

Tonight, we went out to dinner for a Mexican meal (Dad had Mexican seabass, rice and beans). He ate only about half, so we brought home the leftovers. Currently having berries and cream while we watch Deal or No Deal. Hopefully we'll have success on the toilet before bed!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I try to have conversations about what is going on in the moment. Dad in fact taught me this game to help me in the past when my mind was in a fog! (Thank you Lithium and Prozac!).

Sometimes I just mention things like the lady walking down the street, football game on TV. Dad doesn't always respond though. But I believe he is listening. Sometimes it is easy to forget to talk when he is so quiet.

I also tell Dad about 10 minutes before--he goes to bathroom, has dinner, goes to the car. He hates being rushed and I think it gives him time to get used to the idea.

The basketball game is good, physical as well as mental.He might enjoy hitting a golf ball?

I think the fish meal is a good choice for Dad!