Friday, January 22, 2010

Move to Emerald Isle

Dad moved over to Emerald Isle today. I had been talking to him about it the last few days, and his response had actually been quite positive when I mentioned it. For example, last night when I mentioned "tomorrow you'll be moving to the new house", he responded with a big smile and said "That sounds good."

Lois reported that Dad was pretty up and about this morning, but by lunchtime was a bit tired and dozing. He had lunch and we got him in my car to go over around 2pm. After arriving we went to the couch that is in his bedroom and Al(fred) sat down with us and asked questions about Dad, family, background etc. Chris, the administrator arrived around 2:45 and I moved into the kitchen with her to review all the paperwork. Meanwhile, Lois stayed back with Dad and Al in the room to give "tips." Together they took Dad for a little walk and to the bathroom.

Unfortunately I was fighting a migraine this afternoon so wasn't feeling that well. Once I finished the paperwork I returned home (to greet Dylan from school.) Paul came home early so I could rest. I had arranged with Haydee to have a shift at the new place tonight, and was originally going to go over with her, but instead Paul took her over. Took an Excedrin and rested, and am feeling better now. Spoke to Haydee this evening and she reported that she liked the house and the caregivers there, and that Dad seemed to be doing fine, though was tired. I think they will start to have Dad adjust to their schedule, which is about an hour or more earlier (to bed and to wake) than what he did here at my house.

Will be stopping by tomorrow to check in and see how things are going.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I am glad that Haydee and Lois will be staying with Dad to help him adjust to his new surroundings. I had even thought of this myself, so I am glad you(Barb) are doing this! They can stay as long as necessary as far as I am concerned!

Please post address for the new place as well as the phone number.

Thanks,

Cathy