Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dad today

I stopped by to see Dad around 5:30pm. He was sitting at the table after finishing his dinner. They were planning to give him some strawberries and whip cream for dessert. Mamie, the 105 gal was sitting at the table too. Apparently her son, who visits frequently makes a point of talking to Dad because he was also in the military (marines). Mamie told me that her husband (deceased) was in the army and another son, who has also died, was in the Navy. making the point of covering every branch of service.

Dad was responsive when spoken to but then would put his head down and look down in his lap. When I asked him if he enjoyed his dinner, he said "I haven't had my dinner yet" which is something he used to say to me a lot as well. He was also mentioning something about "8 days" as well as mentioning that "he (referring to Al) gets it all set up for him." I also spoke to Anna who is the gal who fills in for Al on his day off and she mentioned that she had cared for Dad yesterday on Al's day off. She said everything has been going fine, and also that Dad's bowel movements have been coming daily for the last few days.

Laura, who is back in town having been gone for a few weeks, is planning to visit Dad tomorrow. Perhaps Ken will come up this weekend, and I will certainly try to get by there on the weekend as well.

2 comments:

Justine said...

Sounds like Dad is getting a broad social experience here. It's nice that the other visitors also relate. I'm sure the smaller home-like environment is more conducive to this. Seems he is adjusting very well - just the same ups and downs he had before (sometimes alert - sometimes more withdrawn - occasionally restless)

Catherine said...

It is really hard being on the outside looking in, like peering through a window of someone's house. (Though if Dad saw me peering he would invite me in!). I am now writing Dad a letter, I hope that he will enjoy it and that I will get some measure of comfort knowing I am trying to keep in touch!