Sunday, January 24, 2010

Transition weekend

I stopped by to see Dad Saturday afternoon. He was relaxing in a reclining chair that was in his room. The bedroom is quite nice...it's at the back of the house and has a fireplace and couch, along with a dresser, cabinet style closet and the recliner they put in there. I spent some more time sharing Dad's routine and various things with Al while there. I took Dad for a stroll around the outside of the house and he was moving well. Went to the great room table (two other ladies were in the sitting area watching TV during that time.) I shared the beach house family photo where Dad immediately recognized himself, and when I pointed to Mom he said that was me. I corrected him and went through the rest of the family. He seemed in good spirits, but was quite sleepy. Started to initiate a puzzle but he kept looking down and closing his eyes, so we walked back to the recliner in his room and I let him rest. It seems as though that's sort of a common "siesta" time at the house (after lunch). Al says he has a half hour break around that time. Al reported by the way, that Dad had slept well the night before, and also that he was a little surprised to hear Dad say "aw shit" when Al was helping him pull of the t-shirt for the shower n the morning. I have previously heard Dad use that term before, though not that often.

Today I just made a quick stop by on my way back from the Farmer's market...I dropped off a pint of strawberries and a tangerine for Dad. He had just finished lunch and Al was about to take him to the bathroom (in hopes for a bowel movement...didn't have one yesterday.) Dad gave me a big bright smile when I said Hi. I asked him how he was doing and he said something to the effect of "this guy's going to help me out" (referring to Al.) Al said he has named him his "captain" and I told him I thought Dad would like being called that, though Charlie was fine too. Am hoping to make a longer visit later this afternoon. I'll try to remember to get my camera out to take some photos that I could post.

No comments: