Saturday, April 03, 2010

Saturday

I called the nurse station and spoke to Amena (sp?). There is nothing unusually to report on Dad's status. Vitals are fine, he is eating (but still needs assistance to do so. I couldn't get much on his mental state or alertness. He is still on oxygen as well. She transferred me to the therapy office, where I spoke with Abby. Although Abby had not worked with Dad, she read the report to me, which indicated he still required 2 people to assist him to get to the edge of the bed and to stand and transfer. They took him to the gym to the gait trainer (parallel bars) where they did some 'pre-gait' exercises, which seem to involved stepping forward and back. The report indicated that he is confused but cooperative, and that he does exhibit signs of pain still. Ken was to visit this afternoon, so I look forward to his report.

2 comments:

kenny said...

I visited Dad at about 2:30. He was awake and said hello when I greeted him.

He started saying shit a lot, and I asked him if he had to go the bathroom and he said yes. I called Nurse to see Dad because I didn't know what he was supposed to do to go. A nurse said that he had eggs for breakfast, and maybe was a little "gassy". It turned out that he didn't have to go after all.
I think now that he was saying shit to complain about pain

The nurse put blankets back on. Then Dad proceeded to take blankets off again. It took him about 10 minutes to get blankets off again. He kept moving his legs, and seemed to be a little uncomfortable. When the nurse came over, he smiled and was very nice to her. That made me feel better, and reassured me that Dad was ok. I tried talking to Dad, but I couldn't understand anything that he was talking about.

I read aloud some of the articles in the newspaper. Dad seemed to be listening as I read. We watched the basketball game together. He was awake the whole time I was there. I left just before 4:00 and said goodbye to Dad

Justine said...

Thanks for the post, Ken. I'm glad that Dad was mainly alert during the visit.

I think it's quite likely he had gas or bowel action. He moved around a lot like that on Wednesday before he had a BM. I'll find out from the nurse when he had his last BM.