Monday, December 29, 2008

Day 2 in California

Dad slept quite well...finally roused him around 9:30am, then toileted and washed up in the bathroom. Had pancakes for breakfast. Seemed a bit more confused and lethargic today...perhaps due to jetlag. It was a gorgeous clear day here, but on the cooler side (for us)...60's. Dad sat outside for a while. I walked him to the edge of my deck to look at the ocean and he noticed some ships. He then said "I could just die right here right now"...and I wasn't sure if it was because he felt tired or because he appreciated the view! I reminded him that he had once told me that after he died he wanted his ashes spread on the Pacific, but I didn't really get a response to that.

ANyway, it was a bit busy here today as a group of my girlfriends with kids had come to visit (my original West LA roommates/girlfriends...hadn't all gotten together in several years). 3 of them have only daughters, ages 7 to 11. We had lunch together at the house with Dad, but Dad didn't eat much. Dad stayed with Paul while we all went for a nice walk by the cliffs. On our return, Ken and family had arrived for their visit with Dad. Dad mostly stayed in the family room watching the football game, but initiated getting up several times, often seeming a big confused and/or saying "we need to set up the program.." and other gibberish. Judy, Ken, Dylan and I sat with him for awhile, and Judy gave us some tips and comparisons with her experiences at the Sunrise facility. Dad had a late snack (mini-sandwich, grapes), then Judy and Ken helped Dad in the bathroom before departing around 6pm. Dad had dinner a little later (chinese chick salad, eng muffin, slice of pizza) and milk and cookies. Had his 2nd Bowel movement in as many days here on the toilet (yeah!...it's all about the poops at our house!) and cleaned up and went to bed around 9:30pm.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Sometimes Dad doesn't always respond. But I think he listens a lot!

Justine said...

Ah, 'the program'. I remember him saying that all the time when I was staying there with Mom. Mainly, when he got up in the morning. Reminds me of how when I wake up many times, the first thing I think is 'what am I supposed to do today?'. I always imagined that is what he was referring to when he said it.