Friday, February 12, 2010

Dad's 94th Birthday




Today I went to visit Dad and take him out to lunch for his birthday. At Emerald Isle, they had brought him a cake, so we all sat at the table and sang Happy Birthday to Dad before I took him out (photos below.) I also took some pictures of his room. They had hung the photo of Mom on the wall surrounded by hearts that I brought in when Dad first moved in 3 weeks ago...at some point I plan to bring in more of the navy and other photos from home.

On the way from the house to the car, Al was assisting and Dad was saying he "didn't feel right" and didn't think he could make it, though he continued to walk and make it to the car. When I arrived at Subway (not fancy, but I had to return to my house to pick up Dad's wheelchair, and was a little short on time...besides, this Subway has a nice ocean view!) I asked Dad if he wanted to walk in the walker or sit in the wheelchair, he said he wanted to walk, and did fine the rest of the time. He ate up his turkey sandwich and chips heartily.

During lunch Dad seemed hungry and not too talkative, but responsive to my questions. When I asked him if he liked the new house he said Yes. I mentioned that Ryland and Paul had left early this morning to go snowboarding for the long weekend. Then I asked him if he had ever skied and he said yes, in the mountains. Does anyone know if that's true?

Al mentioned that Dad has been sleeping well ever since the 1st week and said that he felt that Dad had "settled in" nicely. They added Dad's picture to their bulletin board (previously had just the 4 ladies, now Dad's picture is in the center surrounded by the other ladies)...they are calling it "Charlie's Angels."




1 comment:

Catherine said...

I would appreciate it if you would get a photo of me as well for Dad! Hopefully a single photo of me only (without kids or brothers and sisters), because I want him to remember the special relationship that I had alone with him!

Also, why not a more recent photo of Mom. He might recognize it better (I think).

Cathy