Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dad declining

Hi everyone, I went to visit Dad last Thursday. When I arrived, he was in his recliner next to two of the other ladies watching TV. He did respond with his eyes to my initial greeting, but after that didn't seem to want to give me eye contact. I saw with him for awhile and held his hand, continuing to try and engage him, with little luck. I noticed that he seemed to be coughing a little. I got an occasional look, but he didn't say anything. Before leaving, I told him several times I loved him. Today I got a call from the Hospice nurse. She wanted to let me know she and Dr. Graham had been by and noticed he had secretions, which could be an indicator of having aspirated. They have prescribed Atripene, which presumably can make him more comfortable. THe message I received from her earlier in the day said that she wanted to let me know that this is sort of an indicator in a turn in his condition, though when I finally spoke to her this afternoon, she didn't necessarily say it was imminent. She said she'd be following up on Friday if she hadn't heard from the Emerald Isle staff sooner. A little while ago, I received a phone call from Anna. She too wanted to let me know about Dad's condition. She said Dad didn't want to wake up for dinner tonight (obviously unusual). Also, she said when they changed him in bed, he didn't fight them like he usually does. My sense is she was also alerting me (us) to a declining condition that I imagine she's seen a lot of. Note that everyone appears to be on top of making sure Dad is not in any pain. I'm thinking of heading over right now just to check in while Ryland can watch Dylan. I'll keep everyone posted. Love, Barb

No comments: