Thursday, July 19, 2012

Today

Went to visit with Dad again this afternoon. He was in his bed again, but this time he did occasionally open his eyes. When I first arrived, the gurgling was more pronounced. I sat with him for quite awhile and talked to him again, with similar responses from Dad as last night. I spoke the names of all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren (19 and 18 respectively, right?) At times, he would frown or make a face that seemed to imply a bit of pain, but it didn't seem to last long. Dad had been given some blended food for breakfast. The nurse had come by late morning, and suggested not offering lunch, for fear of aspiration (food/liquid getting into the lungs instead of his esophagus). I understand about aspiration not being good as it can lead to pneumonia and/or trouble breathing. I don't really understand exactly "why" the gurgling is happening in the first place, if it's just him losing his swallowing ability or what. I will ask the nurse more specifics next time I talk to her. They are continuing to give him the atropine (which is in liquid form, and they give him just a drop). When I was sitting with him, I would occasionally encourage him to cough or make the sound of clearing my throat, and lightly touch his lips to encourage closure. By the time I had left, Dad's gurgling was less pronounced and he seemed to be more in a sleep mode. Anna said she will probably see how he will do for dinner tonight.

No comments: