Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Tuesday eve

Just thought I’d let you know how my visit went with Dad this eve. He was awake when I arrived. Seemed comfortable, though I guess I would say that his overall “condition” appears more dire...not really the right word, perhaps just overall he seems weaker than when I’ve seen him over the past year. He seemed comfortable, and not in pain, but he was uttering sort of gutteral sighs, which is perhaps why it felt a little more strained. What’s weird, or interesting is actually how much it seems to me he seems to be more aware than I’ve noticed in prior visits. Perhaps I’m imagining it. It just seems like he’s paying more attention to me, and seems to be understanding, where as over the last year, he seemed more like he was tuning out most of the time (though perhaps it was me and my approach, or just the timing, who knows.) For example, I was asking him if he’d been thinking about his wife Suzie lately. Then I transitioned to explain how I had lost my husband Paul and how much I missed him. Of course it brought tears to my eyes and Dad was looking right at me and it just really felt like he was empathizing. Again, could have been my imagination. I also read a note to him that Janine had asked me to read to him...it was great, and again, I feel that Dad was listening and appreciated it. Love, Barb

2 comments:

Catherine said...

It is nice that Dad listens to you. I am sure he appreciates you talking to him as well. He always was and always will be a "people person"!

Barb, I doubt you are imagining anything, maybe you are a bit tired. I hope you can get away and do something special for yourself.

Justine said...

I echo your thoughts on this, Cathy!